Close

Threaded View

Technician
    If you look at the video I posted there really isn't any rotation. If it were made smaller I agree the rotation effect would increase, but not that much. I think it would scale linearly with the radius of the plug, if not even sublinearly. So even if the whole thing were four times smaller in all dimensions I think that this effect would still be pretty negligible. Even with my 27 mm wide design the current draw was not much. At a fourth this width the current draw would be absolutely tiny. Also as I said the PVC tube itself already guides the plug some. Finally I don't know what you mean by relativistic, maybe you mean quantum? But that is irrelevant unless you get down to the scale of a few nanometers! Anyway since I don't understand the theory nor did my experiment show this to be a problem, I think that you should make a video of the valve if you are still concerned about it. If it has that problem then I will try to help and address it.

It is neither super precise nor accurate. You can not expect it to behave with the same predictable probability density function every time (such as a normal distribution for example). It will always drift. This is why for example gyroscopes and accelerometers are used together, and not just gyroscopes. Gyroscopes measure rate of change of the angle with respect to time. So then angle is found by integrating over time. But there is always drift, so accelerometers which directly measure angle are also used to correct for this limitation. Another example is how battery capacity remaining is calculated. In theory you could integrate current use over time. However because of the drift problem a direct measurement method is also needed (such as checking voltage here). This is why the threads discussing making a direct measurement were created. It is not a matter of just calibrating it once. That will not get very accurate results. Again if you want to save a few dollars on the printer and have not very good at all accuracy in the z axis that is fine. But this problem can cause the z axis to be off multiple percent (not microns) and direct measurement should only add a few dollars cost (probably less than 5). I do not mean to say that drip counting shouldn't be done however. It gives amazing resolution, just not accuracy.
    Last edited by jstrack2; 06-25-2014 at 02:54 PM.