Close

Qidi X Plus 3 Paper thin first layer

I just bought a Qidi X plus 3 printer and am using Orca Slicer 2.0.0. It is printing the first layer so thin I can see through it. I am guessing it is printing a .2mm layer. I have tried every setting I can think of to fix this issue but have come up short. If anybody has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Super Moderator
    If you mean that you can see an impression of any lettering or texture of the PEI sheet through it then it's probably about right.You will have good bed adhesion.

Thank you for the reply. Bed adhesion has been just fine. The first layer that is laid down is so thin I can see right through it. When I printed the flow rate calibration tablets in Orca Slicer, the numbers at the top were only one layer thick and transparent. I am sure it's a setting that I am missing somewhere. I will have to play with it more. I am new to Clipper firmware. I encountered another separate issue that required me reaching out to Qidi for a fix xo I have to wait on that first.

Super Moderator
    Assuming the touch screen will be similar to my X MAX 3..........

When you're doing a print is there an icon with 'Z' on it on the screen to adjust the 'Z' offset ?

That brings up a screen with a few incremental adjustments between 0.01mm and 0.1mm and arrows to adjust the offset up or down. The down arrow moves the bed down to increase the distance from the nozzle which will give you a thicker layer.

You can adjust this on the fly but be aware it takes a few seconds for the adjustment to register on the print, so don't think nothing is happening.

I have no idea about tinkering with Klipper so I just leave it alone and I'm very happy with the best prints I've ever had at about one third of the time that my X CF pro prints. I'm mostly printing ASA and apart from reducing the speed slightly, all the settings are the Orca generic ASA setting.

Thank you for the reply Bikeracer. Yes the X Plus 3 does have the Z offset option through the touch screen interface. When I set the printer up I used the calibration card as instructed until the print head "grabbed" the card and set my zero. When I get it back up and running I will take a look at the Z offset.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by moltoprintauy View Post
    Thank you for the reply Bikeracer. Yes the X Plus 3 does have the Z offset option through the touch screen interface. When I set the printer up I used the calibration card as instructed until the print head "grabbed" the card and set my zero. When I get it back up and running I will take a look at the Z offset.
    During a print, the 'Z' offset icon is on the information screen with all the temperature,speed and light icons etc. The option is not available until a print has been started.

Not to be confused with the initial 'Z' setting when leveling the bed, the 'Z' offset only affects the first layer.

Loads of Youtube videos on setting a first layer down.
    Last edited by Bikeracer2020; 05-27-2024 at 01:21 AM.