Close

Threaded View

Add printbus on Thingiverse

Y Motor subassembly

Y MOTOR SUBASSEMBLY
    I oriented the motor so that the wires come out of the motor towards the rear. Since I plan to really work cable routing appearance, this should provide the cleanest routing option.

I didn't like the way the set screws provided in the kit ended up being recessed in the pulley threads, so I obtained some M3 x 6mm set screws to use instead. Note that the pulley isn't in the final position on the motor shaft in this picture. M3 flat washers were added to the motor mounting bolts. This takes away from thread engagement in the motor, so I swapped out the 10mm long bolts for 12mm long ones. These are close to bottoming out in the motors, so they're providing as much thread engagement as possible.

FOLLOWUP COMMENT: The natural way to install the motor is to set the motor in the bracket and bolt it in place. I believe one of the sources of vibration I had in the i3v is the bottom side of the Y-motor rattling on the bottom of the motor bracket during certain print moves. I later added some thin silicone sheet material there that helped. Even adding a few layers of high temperature electrical tape might help provide some cushion. The material needs to be very thin or the motor bolt holes won't line up with the holes in the bracket.

FOLLOWUP COMMENT #2: When I later replaced the original CW motors with Kysan motors, the 12 mm screws were too long and I reverted back to 10mm. When the motors were replaced, I added a layer of fiberglass tape to the mounting face of each motor, mainly to keep the motor faces from sticking to the painted surfaces but also to provide at least some vibration isolation.
    Last edited by printbus; 05-02-2015 at 11:51 PM. Reason: migrated to offsite image storage due to 3DPrintBoard issues