I'll have ago at setting up an idex printer on simplify3d.

But I ws thinking about the actual sequence I;d want last night.
To start with you need to maintain the temp on the nozzle.
So no cooling when idle - it doesn'.t need to.

So what i came up with was:
1) at end of print section, retract 7-8mm - or whatever it takes to remove it from the nozzle completely and into the heat break. Keep temps on full.
2) before moving head back to print, extrude the 7-8mm (whatever it was) plus 1mm. Then move the head across the wiper and then immediately do a standard length retraction.
I figure that way it should reach the print in the same situation as though it's just done a standard retraction, move and print start.

I pretty much always preheat stuff before starting to print. and as i sometimes (lol) lack organisation - that can 'occasionally' be for hours. Never noticed any issues.
hell saffy's currently waiting for me toi change from pla to tpu - so she's sitting ther ate 235 with pla in the nozzle. I think. #
lol

But yeah i reckon with the right sequence of retractions and nozzle wipes you really shouldn't need a purge tower at all.

And while the idea delta was a joke.
I have also been thinking about how to do it.

So far I've come up with two possibles.
1 involves two stationary upright towers and a bed that moves between the two.
The other involves two towers set at a fairly steep angle with longer rods than normal so you move a head over the bed and then out of the way while the other one prints.

But a multi nozzle is probably a better idea. lol
There are a few of those around.

The other option might be to use morotised nozzles. So a conventional multi nozzle extrusion setup, but with the nozzles moving up and out of the way when not in use.
I'm also pretty sure I read of a multi in one out setup that used little valves to shut off the filament feed that wasn;t being used.
That would eliminate the filament bleeding into each other with a standard multi in 1 out setup.

Now as far as you becoming a full time 3d print guru - youtube :-)

Some of those muppets on youtube that are actually making enough money to live on, know exactly bugger all !

It's got to be worth a shot !

The other option would be what I've mentioned before - bespoke built 3d printers for the sort of people who will buy apple products and pay thousands of dollars for a graphics card.

Damn sure you could make that work.

You've got all the enrgy and enthusiasm that i lack :-)
Or to put it in olympic year terms. I tend to be a sprinter and have short bursts of inspiration and then lose interest fairly quickly.
But you're a marathon runner and can ,maintain the enthusiams for much longer periods od time :-)

If you ever actually finished the big machine and started actually making custom parts for pewrformance cars - that right there is a serious revenue stream - both as direct part sales and to sell similiar machines to all the other performance shops there are in the us.

Most business are looking - though they don't know it - for machines for very specific tasks. And all you can buy, really are general purpose printers that need modding to do a specific job.

You can absolutely do that !

And while you're doing it - make videos on youtube.
I got faith in you :-)