Close

Threaded View

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    FYI on the screws - In case it factors into what you're going to do for paint or hardware, the kits are currently shipping with all black screws (the videos show a mixture of black and plain steel). Washers and nuts included in the kit are plain steel or stainless steel, not black. If you want to replace the screws, you're looking at a lot of hardware to buy - for example, there are over 50 places where M3x16 screws are used.

As gmay3 already suggested, you'd want to be careful what you glue so that you can still make necessary adjustments. I had two focus areas in where I used glue. One was the motor mounts - Even though the parts fit together pretty good, I wanted to do what I could to ensure it stayed that way over time. The second area was to simply improve how the i3v looks when it's done. Gluing the major frame components, for example, allowed me to fill (I used epoxy based wood filler) and sand over the visible joints that remind me of snap-together plywood dinosaur kits that our kids have put together. I figured it is unlikely that I'll need to take the frame apart or remove motor mounts, and that if the glue softens with temperature, the mechanical fasteners are still there to do their job. Should you decide to glue, note that the laser cut edges are glazed, and you'll want to sand this before trying to glue. I found some of the straight-line cuts where multiple parts butted up together in the plywood layout needed some cleanup work anyway. Again, only because I'm particular about how the i3v is going to look when it's done.

EDIT: Added pic showing the front of the finished y-idler plate and how the glued joints for the idler pulley brackets have been filled in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by printbus; 05-17-2014 at 01:42 PM.