Quote Originally Posted by 3dfilemarket View Post
I agree with the Gcode comment. I think the early users of 3dprinting can handle the tinkering of STL files and I like to see the file first and check scale etc before I print. Also I can control the speed and temp of my printer mid print so I start of slow and hot for the first layer and the increase the speed of the print and reduce the temp by 20 degree. This is all great if your into this level of printing, however I feel that to get really mainstream then this will slowly die out and be replaced with print codes. Will the mass consumer really accept having to wait for slicing. If it is done for you does that not make the user experience more seamless?
You can't eliminate the slicing process really. Not unless you are using something like Zbrush that can automatically detect and anomaly in the topology of the 3d mesh and fix it on the fly.

I am not really sure what your gripe is with slicing to be honest, it's not like its a real pain.. I think most people want to be sure their print will turn out correctly - now or in the future. The Gcode generation for me is most important because no matter what program I use it will detect errors in the mesh - if I am going to print something out for 10 hours, I am not going to just take the chance and press print - I want a verification (locally, not in some cloud bullsh*t where I have to upload my 100mb mesh file first) that my model will print ok, or at least the shell is ok and go from there.