personally I think desktop metals setup is a technology that's on it's way out.
It's incredibly complicated: three phases - each one needs to be perfect for the final part to be viable. All three machines are prohibitively expensive and the parts aren't that great compared to other metal printing technologies.
If the sintering forge is a few degrees off the part is ruined.
If the washing machine doesn't get all the substrate - the part is ruined. If the printers cocks something up - yep, the part is ruined.

The cost of the entire setup: printer, washer and forge is unrealistic.
Also given the advances in direct metal powder manufacturing - where an sls machine now costs less than $100,000 (at least 50% less than the desktop metal setup) and can take up as little space as an office water cooler, while producing a final part that just needs basic poliching to finish - I don't think the whole 3 stage sintering has a lot of life left in it.
https://www.google.com/search?client...&q=xact+xm200c

Powder bed metal direct sintering is the way to go.

If I were going to invest in a 3d printing company at the moment it would probably be Carbon.
I don't like their company philiosophy, but there is no doubt that the guys in charge really know how to make money and can milk industry for every last cent.
They've gone down the microsoft route, in that you cannot buy one of their printers you can only rent them.
They also seem exceptional at acquiring government and business grants.
So yeah at the moment Carbon are the company I would invest in.
Resin printing is going nowhere anytime soon and Carbon seem to be the company that has managed to monetarise it better than anyone else.

Desktop metal's system is just about at the end of it's lifespan. When it came out it was a cheaper alternative to direct metal sintering - now it's more expensive, less capable and considerably more complicated and likely to go wrong.

The there are all the maintenance coats. The bastards charge you $10,000 if you move the forge as it's lined with a material that becomes amazingly brittle after the first firing. So that if you moive it, it needs to be relined - and for that they charge $10,000.

So no, I would not invest in desktop metal.

I'm surprised ford have - I guess their buyer got treated to some 'jollies' and had no clue as to how the rest of the metal printing industry was progressing.
But it's now old, expensive tech.