Quote Originally Posted by QuitNoMore View Post
My buddy is having trouble with his printrbot simple (2014). All of his prints seem to be curling up a lot. He is using all the recomended tape on the aluminum preint bet but it is still curling. Any suggestions?
Has your buddy got a heated bed?
If so, is he using a glass build plate?
If so, he should clean the glass and wipe it with a good coat of glue stick that you can buy cheap at the stationary store (paper glue stick)
Then, don''t laugh, this really works a treat and I haven't told anyone before about this. Get some sugar and a little water. Heat it in a micro wave so that it mixes well and forms a oil like consistency when cooled. Apply a little to the glue surface with your fingers, rubbing it evenly all over the surface.
I would suggest that you do a few of these at the same time if you have a big print job on.
Now put the glass on your heated bed and set the temp to about 70C. The sugar will become a nice smooth surface and the stickiness will be gone.
Make your print and it will stick like s*** to a blanket. After the print, take the glass plate off the machine and put on one side to cool. Put your next glass plate on the machine and continue printing.
After a few minutes the glass will have cooled down, you may even hear a cracking sound (like breaking glass) The part will now be released by itself, you wont have to pry it off with a knife or anything, it will be completely loose and a beautiful clean surface underneath. Warning, don't be impatient and try and remove while still hot, you may damage the surface of the sugar coating and will have to wash it off (easy) and do it again. Wait and let it cool down and you can get many prints off the same surface. Sometimes a very light spray of water (very little) may be needed to repair the surface, secret is to leave as long as possible for the plate to cool.

I use standard window glass for all my machines, and if you have to buy it the price is pretty cheap. I am actually given mine by the local glass man. Clean the edges of the glass using a sanding disc or belt, don't hold the glass in one spot too long or it will get hot in that location and could crack. Just a quick run around the edges and it makes the glass nice and safe to handle. Dirt cheap and ready to do continual printing.

As I have said, I have never told anyone of my little secret before, so please someone give it a try and lets all enjoy some good prints.