Close

Thread: printer died

Threaded View

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Starting at the Beginning.

What I mean is start by testing the Fuse, power Cord, Power Receptacle, Power Supply.
    The Fuse is in the Power Receptacle.
    If the Fuse has blown you can replace an power on , if the fuse blows again further testing will be required.
    You can do a old mans test by smelling the power supply if it smells burnt it most likely is dead.
    Though with proper training anything can be repaired.

Before continuing AC MAIN VOLTAGE IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!!i

You must know that I am a Electronics Technician an have been repairing electronics for 50 years.
    Repair is not recommended except by an Electronics Technician, Plus replacement power Supplies are not expense.

I replaced the internal fuse in my supply and the thermal fuse (RT1) and powered it back on and it worked.

Supply.jpg

Again AC MAIN VOLTAGE IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!!i Your Life is not worth the price of this $20 power supply. Or at least $20 where I live.

More likely that not the Main Board is alright, When my power supply died ("exploded") it sounded like a M80 firecracker going off.
    This sound is enough to scare most people into leaving house AC MAIN VOLTAGE alone.

Now for the good news My controller was not damaged, so more likely yours too should be OK!!!

If you want to trouble shoot be extra careful.
    1st You will need a good multi-meter to measure voltage and resistance and a knowledge of what the numbers mean.
    In today electronics repair most do complete assembly swaps in my day we repaired to component level which in my opinion is fun.

If you need help in how to there are many How to videos on you-tube. I find myself searching for many to quicken the repairs.
    When you decide to start trouble shooting your 3D Printer setup a game plan.

My self I would disconnect the Power Supply connect the controller to a USB power source this will show you if it will power on.
    Then while the Power supply is disconnect from the controller replace the Fuse and power it on this will protect the controller for a spark.

After you have done initial test post results for more information.
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 09-17-2020 at 09:41 AM.