Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    many years ago, when I got my first 3d printer - flashforge creator - the hardest thing to print was plastic mesh.
    I pretty much only used abs for the first 6 months and I've not touched it in the last 5 1/2 years. It's not just worth 3d printing with abs.
    But the one aspect of abs that's really useful when printing something like plastic mesh - IS the shrinkage factor. As long as the first layer stays stuck to the raft - then what the shrinkage actually does is open up the gaps between printed components.
    So while I succesfully printed 2 mesh bracelets in abs - I never managed to do it with pla.

Skip forward 5 years and throw in simplify3d and fine tuning internal gap adjustment, as well as the sheer precision of the sapphire pro - and I thought I'd give it another go :-)

So I was sitting here after knocking out perfect iris boxes and fidget cubes (yeah they rock) at 100mm/s and wondering what the toughest thing to print was that I could throw at Saffy next.

It was a coinflip between my own pin-cushion picture thing and some plastic mesh in pla.

So i thought I'd start with the mesh :-)

In case you hate your 3d printer or just fancy a challenge - I've attached the bracelet file I'm currently attempting to print :-)
    Why is this such a tricky print ?
    Retractions. Each layer of chain has hundreds of seperate bits and the system has to retract and reload between each and every one.
    And if any single bit is pulled up and out of line, it kind of snowballs into several other 'bits'.
    I've never seen a 100% complete mesh on one of these prints.

Would I even attempt to print this on a bowden setup ?
    Well yeah, but at a stupidly low print speed - maybe 20-30mm/s.

The first layer is PERFECT !
    And there are hundreds of tiny little seperate bits in each layer.
    Even on the ones that worked in the past - I don't recall a perfect first layer. There was always at least one of the tiny bits that came loose or just got knocked out of line.
    The way this mesh is designed you can lose quite a few bits and it will still work

Speed wise I'm runing this at 75mm/s - or as I like to call it now : ultral quality, super SLOOOOOW speed.
    Yeah - that's my slow speed :-)

(so i just looked at the rpinter panel - someone forgot to reduce the speed - so it's actually running at 'normal' speed 100mm/s - hot damn !)

I'm also using 0.2 layer height. Honestly can't remember what the recommended layer height for this is - I do have the scad file somewhere and I believe you can generate mesh for any given layer height.
    So we'll see how it manages at 0.2

More later...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-11-2020 at 02:54 PM.