Close

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    forget abs. Not strong ebough and does not fare well if exposed to the elements.

Forget nylon as well, not rigid enough and length of nylon that long will be really bendy.

Okay - I hate the way nobody ever explains what they actually mean in imperial measurements.

Am I right in thinking you want to make 8, 1 foot lengths that are 6 inches wide by 2 inches thick ?

In what orientation will the beams be used ?
    If vertical then nylon would probably work.

A 2 inch by 6 inch beam of almost any 3d printer filament will be sufficiently rigid fo the job.

Pet-g would work well, as would pla. 3d printed abs isn't great and really doesn't fare well outside.
    If you can afford that much nylon, then it would work too.

what printer do you have ?

OK so my plan was to print 8, 1 foot lengths(not including a tongue for connecting them together) that are 6 inches wide by 2 inches thick (preferably not solid) that i would then connect together using bolts to create 1, 8 foot beam that is 6 inches wide by 2 inches thick. i would make several of these beams and connect them together in an A frame. i want to print the "wood" structure for a tent like this so that they are lighter and maybe even can come apart into 2, 4 foot lengths that would be easier to transport.

6f9c4b96090177c6403dbeeb1ed45ef9.jpg

the beams that go horizontal i planned on printing "sideways" compared to the mostly vertical pieces so that i would have less issues with sheering. i worry that PLA will warp under the heat of the sun and stress of the canvas/wind. i figured the elements would be less important as long as i sealed the print when it was complete with a finish that is waterproof and protects from UV, am i wrong about that? but PETG does seem like it might make a good option.

I am currently using a Ender 3, but will be getting the SnapMaker 2 before i start printing this project.