Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yes - get the aluminium extrusion pre - threaded by the suppliers.
    The build kind of ground to a halt when i broke the threading bit.
    Then maneged to strip the threads on another strut and ran out of money to get new - pre threaded struts.
    Plus since then I've been messing about with the ctc 13 pro b.
    Not fully operational yet - as the print bed isn't actually affixed to the print frame in any useful or solid way (how it's designed). Basically if you move the printer - at all, it goes out of calibration. I'm going to bolt the whole thing to a rigid aluminium base - which will sort that issue out.

So still learning stuff that will all go into the BB when I recommence it's build.

What i would say is make your build plate larger.
    The extra cost is minimal, and a 350mm round plate will accomodate a 250mm square. I know this as I spotted the files recently :-)
    Once I've eventually got the top and bottom frames made the rest should be pretty quick.
    I've got all the bits, even some 3mm bungee cord for the suspended extruder.
    I keep seeing ideas at printer show I can incorporate :-)

Given how cheap a large format printer can now be had - the original idea behind the bb is probably not going to work. So it's been relegated to a hobby build.

Quick update on the he3d k200.
    After a brief halt last year when the hotend ptfe tune broke in situ - still no idea how that happened. And a wee bit of hassle replacing it - she's now back to full working order and still my workhorse machine.
    Plus I now have a lot of ptfe tubing for the future :-)
    And given how many moulds she's knocked out, I do believe she's actually paid for herself now as well :-)

She's Still on original board and firmware, hotend and extruder - why change what works so well ?
    Pretty much all the problems I see on the facebook groups are from people who have changed stuff - for no logical reason I can see - and have caused their own problems.

I did have adhesion issues with the printbite - but have now upped the bed temp to 65c - and it's sticking better than ever.
    One thing I love is that she gets to temp reasonably quick - but once there the temps are nailed down. I might get a few tenths of a degree wobble on the extruder, but the bed temp is ALWAYS rock solid.

Just goes to show if you take the time to set a cheap printyer up properly and make the right mods - it#ll pay you back in spades :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 02-01-2019 at 06:27 AM.