Yea, hitting the middle of the specified temperature range is a good starting point. There are a lot of other calibration issues in the chain that may give you erroneous readings though. I know my machine is typically 5 degrees cooler at the nozzle due to cumulative inaccuracies. I take this into account with recipes.

Then again, there is no reason not to start at the high end if you know your machine reports a temperature that is pretty close to the actual temperature. Give it a +/-5 degrees C hedge either way. The reason I say this is because the upper end of the temperature is better flow. When you've gone too far, you will get other heat-creep issues. For instance, my canned configurations run 250 degree C materials (PETG) but its initial layer 1 temperature is 265! Same with PLA, 235C for a print that continues at 215C after the first layer. I suspect this is to get the print moving sooner while heater core elements are still normalizing their temperature. To me, this is a poor implementation but they know a lot more than me.

Maybe try this first layer temperature trick(?)