Close

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    80+ platinum certification.
    which means what exactly ?

850 watts for a printer is overkill.
    but 12 volt should be 12 volt regardless.
    If you look for power supplies for led lights you can get some serious power for a lot less than a pc psu. They are exactly the same as printer psu's just cheaper if you buy them from led lighting suppliers.

I have no idea what a rectifier is :-)

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    which means what exactly ? 850 watts for a printer is overkill. but 12 volt should be 12 volt regardless. If you look for power supplies for led lights you can get some serious power for a lot less than a pc psu. They are exactly the same as printer psu's just cheaper if you buy them from led lighting suppliers. I have no idea what a rectifier is :-)
    Have you ever looked at the label on the side of an atx power supply? I am keen to this because of the wild and extravagant gaming rigs I like to build. Like this: https://www.superchargerforums.com/t...-machine.7445/ For my gaming pc's I need to pay close attention to how many amps are available on the 12v rail. Because that advertised number of a max supported wattage is all of the rails and voltages, that is, all of the outputs together add up to a max of 850 watts of power. With an ATX power supply that must power 5v, 3.3v, and all other sorts of outputs and voltages and some of these watts are measured on the ground side, like -5v and -12v. So just because he says he is 850watts, don't you believe it. because 3dprinters, as you know, will only use the 12v rail. And these usually support noticeably less than the total rated output. But also 80 percent efficiency is awesome when you are only driving the rail you need, but 80 percent efficient on rails you don't even use is still a gross waste of power.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 10-10-2018 at 05:11 PM.