Quote Originally Posted by pslant View Post
I'm wondering about 2 things before I begin investing time and money in 3D printing? However cool the technology is I really would like to be able to not only print toys.I'm a programmer that have zero experience with 3D design and 3D printing.1) (printer) Say I print a simple tube standing up in the printer, how true is the length going to be? Say 150mm tall and 25mm diameter.15mm bore. can I expect a height difference less than 1mm? Both filament and resin printers.2) (CAD design) Is there cheap software that I could use to design not only a straight tube but one with varying (sp?) outer AND inner diameter while concentric? Like a piece for a woodwind instrument. (plasticwind? )Thanks for any suggestion!
1.) The tube will be pretty accurate but it obviously depends on the printer you buy. Resin printers tend to be more precise. My measurements always seem to come our near-perfect2.) Generally a printer will come with a software but I would recommend investing a few dollars into a paid software. They are much easier to use.