Close

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Trakyan View Post
    The first idea of mounting the extruder in the middle makes sense, it just usually isn't worth the extra hassle. The logic behind the idea of a second x-carriage for the extruder is somewhat flawed. Yes, the mass isn't directly on the print head so it can accelerate quickly, but the extruder behind it will still need to go slow and the print head is chained to it via bowden tube so it will also have to go slow as well. It basically ends up being a less effective and more complicated version of having 2 x axis motors (or one bigger x axis motor).

You're also still flinging a heavy mass along the X axis which will shake the Z axis towers.
    Thanks for taking the time to give an opinion. I already have plans to change out the axis motors anyway, so I can choose the power rating and perhaps change over to .9 from 1.8 stepping. I may go with wider belts as well.

As far as the frame, hah when my printer came, I had no idea how all the pictures and videos make these things look so much larger and substantial. They must use midgets for the vids and microscopic cams for the pics. These printers are really small by comparison to the rest of life's appliances. Sheesh wheres the beef? I have already purchased and will install corner brackets for the tower and the base frame. Square'em up and lock'em down. Also purchased a support rod set.

I will make a post when its done and have some statistical results and quality comparisons. There will be an $investment$ figure included as this could be the ultimate decider, if the idea proves worthwhile.

Thanks again for taking the time to post.
    Last edited by Just Harry; 08-25-2018 at 08:13 AM.