Close

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    first off a couple of things. Can you try and do paragraphs, just makes it a LOT easier to read :-)
    And you'll find that you need to be using millimetres for all measurements. Inches just confuse matters and most slicers just look at them go: burble burble burble :-)

that file would print as it is - don't see any issues.
    You'd need a fairly high resolution, but you've got a nice flat base to start with.
    Hell you could always use supports - I pretty much always design a print so that I never use supports, but that takes practice and without a printer. Any designs you make will NOT be optimised for supportless 3d printing.

But as long as you expect to do some post print filing and sanding, it shouldn't be an issue.
    Only real issue is length.
    If you split it in half lengthwise you'd need to dogleg the cut so you have overlapping section to glue.

Strength on fdm prints is largely dependant on print orientation.

Print that peice flat and pla would be absolutely fine.
    But the armadillo would be almost as strong as the carbon fibre one.

Bound to be pu glue/solvent around.
    For pla i use uhu all purpose. I get a partial dissolve so very strong bond.

. Hello Aardvark,Ok I will run millimeters as its not really important to get it perfect in the discussion anyway. I thought I might have not explained myself completely thoroughly, and I was right. The split will be lengthwise, but not on the surface you are thinking of. I am talking about splitting from the front to make two flat halves and an easy build for the printer. Since the last post I did some research on the Armadillo filament Thermoplastic Polyurethane. Its very easy to chemically bond(glue) this product. No problems at all. Its looking like I will definately buy a pound and test it out. I appreciate your contribution, thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    first off a couple of things. Can you try and do paragraphs, just makes it a LOT easier to read :-)
    He did use paragraphs but he attached a file and edit his post and the forum software does what you see to the post. This is the issue I spoke of the other day in a different thread. This has happened to me multiple times and has to do with attaching files and editing but I am not sure of the order to reproduce it. Always happens on long posts where I have invested a lot of time ..