Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    alas I showed darren and he said 'you need an engineering firm for that'.
    Apparently even though it says engineering in their frim title - they don't have any of the right gear.
    Don't even have a clamp for their pillar drill that will hold it in place.
    His idea was a centre punch and a big hammer.
    So I passed :-)

So I think I might, knock the bit off that's sticking out of the hole with a hammer and figure out some way to clamp it so i can have a go with my pillar drill (change it to it's slowest speed) and a titanium nitride coated drill bit.
    Logical - to my way of thinking - would be to start with a very small drill and work my way up.
    Failing that, every time I see these things on a shopping channel I'm tempted to buy them: https://www.drillallsales.com/
    probably not as good as they claim. But I only want it for the one job :-)
    Bugger it - bought a 4.5mm bit. If I hurt it, they say they'll send me another one. So we'll see :-)
    Figure at £5.99 it's worth a punt. Cheaper than postage would be on another strut anyway.

I reckon I can clamp the strut in my workbench and put the drill on that with the head offset .
    Should be fun lol
    I'll have another go at cleaning the aluminium out of the grooves of the other two threading bits and use oil :-)

Oh yeah my big laser engraver arrived yesterday. 30x40cm. Has a sort of user manual, but no build instructions or links to software, instructions etc.

On the postiive side. There was no customs form or value on the parcel, so no import tax. I think it's been shipped to the uk in a container, massively undervalued and then delivered with hermes - a budget uk delivery firm who clearly don't ask daft questions like: 'you pay import tax on this? '.
    So that's good :-)
    Did find a build video on youtube which looks like the same kit. Very strange way of using the belts to move stuff. Not something I would ever have worked out for myself in a million years.

What I really need is work, running out of money :-(
    I do have a shed full of tropical hardwood (that's not an exaggeration) and a bunch of woodworking gear. So custom engraved plaques, mats coasters etc are definitely in the future.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-18-2018 at 06:01 AM.