Close

Threaded View

There are some reasons under my decision to not go for SLA.
    - I want to have the possibility to create big prints, which current SLA printers lack of,
    - Be able to print with many types of materials, and if possible, with multiple at the same time,
    - FFF/FDM prints are much more robust than their SLA counterpart prints, unless you purchase the most expensive resins, but that would cost and an arm and a leg, unlike the FFF/FDM materials,
    - SLA printers are much more expensive than FFF/FDM printers: Starting with the consommables themselves, and passing by the buckets (need to change them regularly as they tend to be clouded).

I'm however interested in SLA/DLP technologies as well, because I actually dream of printing customizable figurines (which I find marvellous). This is why I backed-up the Kubo3D Bean printer on kickstarter. It's the same company that created the Titan, so I'm confident that this will not be a scam (they actually update regularly, and are in pass to send them to the backers). This way I could judge by myself if I should move on to SLA printer (such as the Peopoly Moai printer) or not; depending on the experience I would have.

I'm precising that I want the best FFF/FDM resolution because I've seen some amazing print quality (of some artists that have the UM2, that's one of the reasons why I'm interested in it so much), but I'm aware it could not have the same resolution as an SLA printer.

EDIT (2018/03/31):

I've just found this interview of Thomas, which interviewed E3D about their incoming new innovations.
    Watch the interview here.
    In two words, awesome news!
    They are going to release (4-5 months) a new system which will propose a swappable multi-heads capability. From what I've saw, they are having in mind to make this a new standard in the open-source community.
    Now, this slightly changes the game, as this is much more powerful than the current version of FFF printers, as proposed by the current iterations from both, Ultimaker and BCN3D (not mentioning all the others such as Prusa and the chineses based companies).
    What do you think about this?
    Last edited by Diginet; 03-31-2018 at 10:06 AM. Reason: New challanger