@3DSavvy: Although I have a rather rudimentary understanding of the ipv6, which looks to be an alternate internet addressing system, I would like to share my thoughts about the broader relationship between the Internet of Things (Iot) and domain names.

An analogy that might be fitting is that of phone apps. When you use an app on your phone, you typically don't plug in a website address every time you use it. Rather, you access it through a standalone app. However, the majority of app developers have their own domain sites, in order to promote and explain their app, as well as sell ancillary services. So while people don't plug in a domain name every single time they access an app, the commercial aspect of these apps has increased demand for more app-related domains. It is literally impossible to find any two-word domain which has "app" as its suffix, and virtually impossible to find any two-word domain with "app" as its prefix.

Similarly, I think that the IoT may use some kind of alternate addressing system to connect devices to the internet, namely in the form of apps. And certainly, some devices which are to be connected, like thermostats, lack the interface for textual browsing. However, companies that sell IoT-related devices/services will still need domain sites to promote, and notify consumers of, their businesses. Even if your smart-thermostat never requires the input of particular domain names, the IoT device's point-of-purchase will be on the manufacturer's domain site.

So, the IoT's use of an alternate internet address system may very well augment the use of, and increase demand for, domain names.