The things about openscad that most users will not tell you are:
1) you don't need to be a computer programmer - most of the hi-end users tend to be and I almost never understand any of their answers to my questions.
2) if you think of your models in terms of shapes and can visualise what you want to make in your head - you'll love openscad.
3) being able to draw things is totally not necessary.
4) the openscad manual was not written by people who think in 'human'. Do not be put off if you look at it and find your brains are leaking out of your ears. The cheat sheet provides around 95% of everything you need.

I've come to the conclusion that I actually only think in 3 dimensions. I have never been able to draw things free hand, translating the image in my head onto a 2 dimensional piece of paper just has never worked for me.
So most cad packages also don't work for me, as they require at least some 2 dimensional drawing skills.

But openscad has a completely different approach. You simply tell it what you want to draw and where you want it.
I've yet to find anything I can't model with it, So I work out what i want in my head and then use openscad to 'draw' it for me.

Give it a go.