Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well, apparently if you can force the filament feed tube all the way through the extruder so it actually stops flush against the top of the nozzle. It will work.
    Now I'm not a wimp and I pushed that tube as far as it would go - and it was nowhere near the top of the nozzle.

I just feel for the sake of a couple of cents, why not ship the extruder with the ptfe tube in place and be 100% certain it's going to work.

Now, my next problem.

You cannot calibrate the heated bed with the z probe.
    why ? I'm glad you asked. :-)

The heated bed is mounted on long bolts to - presumably - stop it from frying the motherboard and stepper motors. This reduces your print height by about 30mm (which I don't have an issue with, as at some point I will extend the print height quite considerably anyway). But more importantly, it's spring loaded.
    So when the z probe presses down on the plate, the springs compress and the bed tilts and dips quite a lot before the z-probe registers it's hit a solid object. The probe is not a sensitive bit of equipment, it's cheap and cheerful and on a solid, unmoving glass bed - perfectly adequate.
    The standard calibration process (which makes no sense to me anyway) cannot work with a sprig loaded printbed.
    And even if it did, it would be registering a point somewhat below the actual surface of the print bed.

On the other hand, adjusting the levelness of the bed is very easy. It just screws up and down.

So I now have to try and find an easy to follow guide on how to calibrate a delta without a z-probe.

I did contemplate removing the hot bed and trying it with just the glass bed, but I don't intend to print anything with this machine without a heated bed - so that's a non-starter.

And no, as far as I can see there isn't a tutorial video on how to calibrate the k200 with the heated bed installed.

I still like the kit, and for the money it's really good value. But under no circumstances would I recommend it to anyone as a first printer.

Just too many little issues that would frustrate a beginner to 3d printing.
    For me this was always as much about learning as getting another printer, and it's been ideal for that lol

If it were me, I would add another $10 to the price of the kit and get the extruder carriage injection moulded, throw in some feet and a base cover and include mounting brackets with the psu upgrade kit and a strut mounted filament holder (all of which I will upload to thingiverse at some point).
    And stick the tube in the hotend so you know it will work all the time for everyone.

Do that and you'll have one really really nice delta. And as soon as I work out how to calibrate the thing, I'll prove it :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 06-02-2017 at 06:09 AM.