The safety issues are minimal even with so called unsafe gasses emmitted when printing.
True, but as with most accidents:

the accident was the result of the unlikeliest set of events

As an example, when I was a teenager I once set almost the entire top floor on fire because
1. I was using spray deodorant the normal way
2. A friend came in and fired a toy cap gun
3. The aerosol deodorant ignited and set a large bottle of nail polish remover on fire that had spilled a bit resulting in sort of a fireball. I expected an explosion so I kicked the bottle away.
Then further away into another room, leaving the carpet on fire. When I realized it was a plastic bottle that was still intact with only the outside spills on fire, and not going to explode I extinguished the fire with wet towels. Now I use neither aerosols, cap guns (or nail polish removers)

So, it is up to us to prevent these things from happening and let's first be aware that a common can of hairspray contains an amount of propane gas.
That is a very flammable propellant and because of the flash evaporation and high density of propane it sinks to the bottom of the room where it can ignite if there is a heat source or say a spark from an electric outlet.
Then, we have to be aware that an explosion from a can of hairspray is significant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fioP8cflUIA
For me this marks the point where we stop using hairspray as anything else than hairspray and stick to other fixatives.

This is a terrible story and my condoleances to the family.