Quote Originally Posted by MiddleManMe View Post
Hello everyone. I am a middle aged man looking to change careers out of necessity. Can anyone give me information in the relatively new field of 3d printing?

[Sure, we can give you information if you ask the right questions.]

What must I learn to get into it? What does it entail? What is the pay scale?

[Get into what? Building printers, operating them, selling them? If you want a job in a factory making them, it would help to have assembly-line experience. If you want to operate one for a service bureau, experience in doing that would qualify you. If you want to sell them for a company that makes them, a sales background would be what they'd look for. Pay would be commensurate with experience, but the field is full of underfunded start-ups, so pay scales aren't high.]

I have experience as a printer and graphic artist. As I have stated, I am a middle aged man who has been discriminated against because of my age, so I worry if I can even get into this field.

Any words of advice would greatly be appreciated.
Thank you.
[This field is mostly populated by younger people, and age discrimination isn't exactly unheard-of in it. Your printing and graphic-arts background is not likely to be very helpful, unless you get into the promotional side of the business.]

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com