Close

Threaded View

Question General inquiry about possibilities of scanning and reprinting sculputure. Newbie.

Am clueless about what's out there in 3D scanning and printing. Want get pointed in the right direction. As am investigating possibilities of getting my wife's existing sculptures scanned & 3D printed.

Request for 3D scan and then print services. Inquiry.

My wife is a sculptor.
    (see www.meeracensor.com)

I'm looking for a service that could do a 3D scanning of some of her works and then 3D print them in the same or different (smaller or larger) sizes.

If such a service exists it could be a good alternative to repeatedly casting from a mold, and offer the possibility of scaling size up or down. Although detail must be preserved this are not precision machine parts requiring tight tolerances.

Her works vary in size from approximately 8 x 4 x 4 inches to as much as approximately 18 x 10 x 10 inches.
    The originals needing scanning might be in bronze, plaster, or hard plastoline.

Any output final materials might be acceptable.

Does that sound like something that might be a viable option?
    If so, where would I start shopping for services that can do that?

Note that I'm in Ashland Oregon, and since the originals can be heavy or sort of fragile in some cases, would be best to find a service within one day's drive.

Thanks for your time, help, and consideration.

Alex
    Last edited by acensor; 07-30-2016 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Caught a typo