Close

Threaded View

Help printing ABS

I'm at work right now so I can't upload the stl of the part I'm trying to print or a pic (which I'll try to add later), but I do happen to have the gcode with me (had to zip it because of size) on a flash drive so I've uploaded it. I coated the glass with Elmers Xtreme glue stick before heating the bed. The bed temp was at 110º and the nozzle was at 250º at the start (I manually dropped it to 230º roughly an hour into the 6hr print). My printer is a Prusa i3v from Makerfarm with an e3d v6 hot end and Gregs hinged extruder. Used Slic3r 1.2.9 to create the gcode. The printer is in my basement which is usually around 15º. I made a crude cardboard box to help hold some of the heat in. I bought the white filament from Makerfarm when I bought the printer.

The part is roughly 105mm in dia by 33mm tall (looks like a 6 spoke car rim). About half way thru the part started curling up off my glass (about 1.5mm all the way around) which isn't my only problem with this item, but probably the worst.Another problem I have is I seem to have a lot of bubbling (have same issue with PLA as well). I don't know if it's from moisture or over extrusion. Knowing this was going to be a long time printing and use a lot of material I checked the calibration of the extruder before printing. It was about 6mm short at 100mm so I adjusted the steps and tested again. Came out right at 100mm (maybe 1mm more) so I left it at that. Everything started out good, then some time into it I noticed that I could hear the hot end drag across the part and I could see bumps in the print. I went in and adjusted the steps for the extruder half way between the new settings and what they were originally while it was printing. It seemed to help some, but an hour or so later I could here the same problem so I dropped the temp on hot end to 220º thinking maybe I was having oozing problems. Continued to let it print and still noticed the problems so I dropped the steps to just under the original value, dropped the feedrate over ride to 95% and let it finish the print as it was time for bed (roughly half an hour left at this point so I felt safe letting it finish. Because of the design I had to add support material ended up being pulled off glass in a few places but seemed to stay put for the most part (although the print ended up separating from the support sometime during printing). I also have layer separation in several spots.

I know without seeing the actual print it's hard to give suggestions (I'll try to get one uploaded shortly) but anything to start with would be helpful. Seeing I have the same bubbling effect with PLA at the original extruder steps I'm at a loss on what to do. If I remember correctly I had the bubbling problem when I printed the 24mm test cubes when I 1st got printer a month ago with both PLA and ABS.

Sorry for the long post, but wanted to make sure I tried to get everything.

P.S. On another part I tried printing with ABS I tried using hairspray, blue painters tape and plain Elmers glue stick and they all pulled off the glass after printing to a height of about 6mm. The Xtreme was the only thing I found that would hold the print down. I have some 3M spray adhesive I could try but was worried part would never come off.
    Attached Files Attached Files