Close

Thread: 12" I3V Build

Threaded View

Technician
    Didn't get as much time as I would have liked yesterday but made some progress. Got a 3/4" mdf base cut for it and made 2 braces to prevent any flex around the y-axis belt attachment points. Paid close attention to the diagonal measurement of the y rails making sure they were perfectly square before screwing the front brace down. Also cut two small blocks and screwed them down to force the two parts of the frame to be square to each other. Also pushing down on the z motor mounts before screwing the fame into these blocks pulled the rest of the frame flat to the MDF pulling the z-axis rails into being perpendicular to the MDF. Without being pulled down flat they were leaning a bit towards the back of the printer. Once I'm up and running I might print some nicer braces to replace these crude plywood ones.

Tensioned the y belt with it off the base which flexed the frame in a bit, then putting it back over these braces added that extra little bit of tension to the y belt making it nice and tight. Belt doesn't track well on the y idler though so I'll definitely be printing a new idler that has a lip to keep it in place. After it was tensioned I also cut a small block that wedges in between the back of the y motor and frame so the mount doesn't have to take all the torsional force from the belt being tensioned.

IMG_20160220_245737042.jpg
    Last edited by Dustin B; 02-20-2016 at 09:58 AM.