I've been searching putting bits and pieces together from here and there trying to get my head wrapped around slicing programs. I've had lots of problems with the Slic3r version recommended on prints that are supposed to be bullet proof. So I've decided to switch. My problem is that I'm completely new to 3D printing and since I haven't had much experience with machine settings I'm conflicted on what I need to get Cura working on my i3v. There doesn't seem to be much for documentation going into detail on setting up Cura explaining all the different settings.

So what I've found is that it looks like I mainly need to worry about the retraction setting in Cura as it uses a Bowden. Beyond that since I don't have much experience changing settings should I basically copy over the settings MakerFarm provided to use in Sli3er? I don't know if these will work okay in Cura or cause problems. It's become frustrating as I've printed about 4 things and only one came out without major problems. The hallow test cube MakerFarm provides on the build guide. The default Slic3r version keeps telling me there's problems with prints I've downloaded such as non manifold edges or holes etc etc but these are prints that are very popular and others have printed many times. I've tried repairing some to an extent but they really just get altered greatly with fill in areas of detail that ruin them.