Close

Threaded View

Engineer-in-Training

Retraction and Firmware Help

I am looking for help with retraction as most objects I print are cylindrical and with retraction issues the part ends up looking like trash.

I am slicing with Simplify 3D 3.0.1 and have a lot of settings but the best results have been with the following:

Retraction Distance: 2.5mm
    Extra Restart Distance 0.00mm
    Vertical Lift 0.00mm
    Retraction Speed 15mm/s
    Coasting Distance 0.1mm - 0.2mm
    Wipe Nozzle - Off

These settings produce the vein that you can see in the attachments. I have even tried the following settings:

Retraction Distance 2.00mm
    Extra Restart Distance 0.00mm
    Vertical Lift 0.00mm
    Retraction Speed 12mm/s
    Coasting Distance 0.5mm - 0.8mm
    Wipe Nozzle - Off

My thought was to attempt to relief pressure by coasting more, but this provides the same results. One thing I have noticed is the time it takes to finish a loop and then move the nozzle along +Z is pretty high. This results in the nozzle staying close to the print while it oozes, which is why I am getting such a big vein of plastic.

I am using a 1.75mm hexagon nozzle.

Now is there a way to change the amount of time it takes to move the nozzle in the +Z direction? The only option in Simplify 3D is when the machine is not printing, so it is useless can I do this in the firmware?

Now onto my second issue, I cannot update my firmware no matter what I do. I have been trying to change the E Steps for the extruder as it is slightly under extruding. I update the value in the configuration.h file and then upload it using the Arduino software and I confirm the numbers have been changed before uploading to the Rumba board. Then after that nothing changes in LCD screen. Has anyone run into this issue or have any idea on how to fix this?

Also, please help me fix my retraction! Give me any advice you would like. Is it worth looking into getting a different extruder?
    Attached Images Attached Images