Well, mostly printed anyway...

The spindle that came with my CNC router is not very good, at least not for working with hard materials, and since the mountings on the machine only accept a 52mm diameter spindle it seemed that either I modified the router to take other sizes of spindles or made my own custom spindle, so...

IMG_1217.jpgIMG_1220.jpg

It works very well, at least on the bench; runs smooth, and has very little runout but the front bearings get hot after a few minutes or running it. I was expecting some heat, hence the aluminium front cover to help dissipate it, but this is more than I anticipated; I may had preloaded too much the two angular contact bearings at the front.
The motor is a 700Kv, 1500W brushless motor used for model aircraft, plenty of power there. There's a flexible shaft coupling in the red housing to match the 6mm motor shaft with the 8mm chuck shaft; as mentioned before there's two angular contact bearings at the front (or bottom if you will) and one more on the motor side.

If I have time today I'll disassemble the front bearings, reduce the preload and try again to see if that makes an improvement; if not I'm already milling an all aluminium bearing housing that should help dissipate the heat much better.