Close

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by TimM View Post
    But things like 'circular pitch' and 'circles' are meaningless to me. So I've got to find a good reference for these values, especially in the context of the gear code. I ran into numerous threads in which people were guessing and getting weird results. There seems to be a lot of confusion about size units et cetera. I used a text editor to study the gear code and I didn't see any embedded documentation or supplemental doc files. If anyone can direct me to a link where these terms will be explained, I'd be most grateful.
    The easiest thing to do is get OpenScad installed and figure out how to pull files into it. The good news is you are trying to use a fully debugged and working module. So pull that module into OpenScad. And then tell OpenScad to render the objects created by your source. (Or in this case, put this code into OpenScad and make sure you have the /inc/ directory populated with the right files)

include <inc/configuration.scad>
    use <inc/parametric_involute_gear_v5.0.scad>

make_gear();

module make_gear() {
    gear (number_of_teeth=43,
    circular_pitch=268,
    gear_thickness =gear_thickness,
    rim_thickness = 7,
    rim_width = 3,
    hub_thickness = nut_trap_thickness+ nut_trap_depth,
    hub_diameter = 22,
    bore_diameter = 8,
    circles=4);
    }

gear.jpg

In order to speed up the print and make the gear lighter, you can cut circles out of it. I'm using a version of this gear file that cuts tear drops out instead. They look better!

Here it is with the circular_pitch set to 120 and circles=8 :

gear2.jpg
    Last edited by Roxy; 07-09-2015 at 08:18 AM.