I'm throwing in the towel on FreeCAD. While I have no ME or CAD background/training, I know a bug when I see one (or many). FreeCAD has too many, and it's too much of a frustration collecting an ever more cumbersome bunch of workarounds.

Part of the problem probably lies in the fact that I'm trying to use it on Linux and OS/X, when I suspect it's most commonly used on Windows. I also realize that it's probably designed for someone who DOES have a CAD background, and is optimized for particular usage patterns. The problem seems to be when you go outside well traveled paths, it just falls over.

I'll admit, I probably don't need a full-blown CAD package to do what I want to do. What I want to do is:

• Design/print the occasional SIMPLE mechanical part/tool.
  • Design/print specialized artsy things that mostly relate to pottery, and that originate usually from some sort of 2D vector drawing, with the intent, usually, of extruding/lofting them to simple cookie-cutter-like tools.

Since it's on the short list of tools that seem to have proven themselves on most platforms, I think OpenSCAD will be the way to go with the first requirement. I've just resisted the learning curve. But..., if when I started messing around w/ FreeCAD I knew what I know now..., I would DEFINITELY have switched to OpenSCAD.

On the artsy side..., Blender? Talk about a learning curve. I don't know what abilities OpenSCAD may have regarding importing things and then operating upon them, so perhaps it could be an option.

Anyways, would anybody care to share their experience/thoughts on tools for designing things, that are available on BOTH Linux and OS/X? Preferably "open source", but if the tool is priced for a dilettante or hobbyist such as myself, then commercial stuff is a possibility.