I am interested in printing some items for use with heat or used hot.
Things like some steam engine parts, coffee mugs, covers and shields for near engines and exhaust.

I found a filament seller on Ebay says,
* ABS filament is 210~260C, the idea temperature is 230C.
* PLA filament is 170~240C, the idea temperature is 210C.
* HIPS filament is 210~260C, the idea temperature is 230C.
* Nylon filament is 220~260C, the idea temperature is 240C.
200 degree Celsius = 392 degree Fahrenheit, and of course I'd need to stay well below that I am sure to prevent melting or softening warping etc.

What would be a safe temperature to use printed items at though? I am thinking most things would be made with ABS and perhaps Nylon for some items.

Can I print items that are food safe? Coffee mugs, drink bottles, cereal bowls, etc... and I also have thoughts for some cooking items like molds for eggs and cookie cutters.

Would I need special filament for food safe or is most safe? What about Microwave and dishwasher safe?

I have many items I want to make, and almost as many questions also. LOL
I looked into 3d printers awhile back and at that time they were far too costly to buy and operate so I did not get one then, but I have been thinking of all the things I want to make! I see now there are several ways to get into 3D printing for around $500 or so. After Jan 1 I hope to buy a great 3d printer or build one.

As for a steam engine. It would only be running on about 10-15psi, but I don't know how hot it would get. My metal steam engine I will test for operating temps when I get it running again. My real thought on this though is I think I can print the engine to be used as a compressed air engine only, then use some of the printed parts to make molds to cast parts in aluminum for the steam powered engine.

I don't know if anyone else has tried it yet or not, but I think a plastic toy steam engine would make a great toy if built well and used a blown up balloon for the air power. Along this idea I also have an idea for a pump up air powered steam car, it would be pumped up similar to pellet rifles. Other than small parts, the air powered steam car/engine would be safe for most children to play with.