So i've decided to try my hand at building a delta printer. For a lot of reasons not really worth going into at the moment I want to design my own but my experience with 3d printing in general is limited to the last month and change that I've spent with my ff creator pro. Part of me thinks, screw it, I'm a reasonably intelligent guy with an engineering background and I have the interwebz to refer to if I get stuck, design my own and make it how I want right from the start. The other part of me is a bit more reserved and thinks that I might be better off downloading parts from an established design and simplifying my first build to replicating what others have already done and then work on designing my own from there. So there is my debate. Buy/print the parts to build a clone of what's already out there and just copy/paste everything I need to make it work, or design my own and get it done the way I want the first time while accepting the higher probability of failure? Those of you that have built a delta, how difficult is it really? Was yours a "kit" or did you design it yourself? Based on the experience you gathered from your build what would you do differently if you were to do it again?

For the hell of it here are some of the goals for the one I plan to design myself:

12" triangular heated build platform (no apparent reason to limit myself to a cylindrical build area)
12" MINIMUM build height
lead screw motion
80/20 extrusions (much easier for me to get than the openbeam stuff)
active print cooling (switched)
enclosed build area with active cooling (switched)
power supply and other electronics housed in base for a cleaner finished look and easier transport
provisions for 2nd extruder (will not be part of the initial build)