I am new to this forum, and also new to 3D printing. I am working with a group of people who want to be able to use a 3D printer to create a prosthetic (artificial) eye.

Is anyone else here involved in anything like this, or can someone suggest the best place to start a discussion? I've already got far more questions than answers, including:

• What are some good 3D printers for this application (small parts, but need to be very finely finished.
  • What materials are best to print with - requirement that they are biocompatible
  • Can the 3D printer also "paint" the eye as it is being constructed, so when the eye is finished, it will "look" like a real eye?
  • If it can be "painted" (printed with color), will the resolution be similar to a 300 dpi ink jet printer, or much cruder?

In addition, I'm wondering how people "scan" the surface that a part, such as this prosthetic eye, will attach to. The eye will be mounted on "something" in the eye socket that moves up, down, right, left, etc., just as it used to move the real eye. This will be a mounting surface that the eye will attach to. Somehow that surface needs to be scanned, and the locating surface coded, such that the back end of the prosthetic eye will match up with that surface, including any mounting pins that may be there.

I am now in India, and the eye hospital I am working with wants to be able to provide inexpensive prosthetic eyes to people who could never afford a prosthetic eye made the old way. I found Altem, in India, who represent Stratasys. http://altem.com/3d-printing/ I'm hoping they may be able to provide what I need.

Any advice from you guys would be very much appreciated! Even if it only answers one part of all these questions, it will be very helpful.