So I think I am officially in the RepRap club now that I had my first printer jam/extruder melt. First I want to mention that this was completely my fault and was not the result of any Makerfarm parts or filament! I am running a hexagon hot end and just like Colin from Makerfarm says, it needs a fan running at all times.

I came back after 30 minutes into a print and the extruder was floating in the air and was wrapped in a coil of filament. I put my hot end cooling fan on a switch so that I could silence it when I'm not printing and perform maintenance more easily. Unfortunately I forgot to switch the fan back on. The hotend and the hotend mounting plate heated up to 250C and melted the base of the extruder so the whole thing melted and leaned forward and somehow the filament got jammed. The hot end fan duct and main body of the extruder melted badly, luckily I had printed replacements.

Moral of the story, keep that hexagon hot end fan on at all times, and print out extra extruder parts before you need them.