Close

Hybrid View

Student
    thanks a lot for this big technical comment KrazyJim !

I did notice now, after 30h of printing, that my temporary "piece of paper" solution is starting to fail again
    what I noticed too when implementing that solution is the major design flaw in the carriage that you also mention: the single short "belt gripper"

my original plan was to upgrade to an aluminium carriage from Raffle but that's out of stock for some time now so I think I might bolt the belt to the carriage as you suggested (with two M3 screws and self locking nuts maybe)
    right now there are new linear ball bearing bushes on their way (ordered from here http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00OCK50YK) so I think I'll do the modification to the belt when the bearings arrived

I already tried pulling the carriage off the rails but with no success... is there any special trick for that except of brute force? I don't want to damage the only carriage I have :/

Student
    Those LM8UU bearings may be too long. The LM8SUU are only 17mm long. I just measured the length of the bearing support in the carriage and it is slightly over 17mm. So the 24mm LM8UU will probably not fit. The LM8SUU is what you require for a MakerBot 2 or 2X.

Using eBay.com and searching for LM8SUU found many, most with free shipping from China.

Also maybe Igus makes a stiction free plastic replacement of the right size.

I could only fit a single bolt in the gripper. I used two nuts to form a lock nut. You may have a hard time fitting a 3mm bolt. Probably not enough room. Also the belt is only 6mm wide. If you drill a 3mm hole it may weaken the belt and cause it to break.
    Last edited by KrazyJim; 01-29-2015 at 04:57 PM.