Close

Thread: ORB 3D Printer

ORB 3D Printer

15-year-old Thomas Suarez announced last year that he intended to introduce a desktop 3D printer that would have printing speeds 10 times those currently available -- and it looks like he's delivering on that promise. Suarez and his company, CarrotCorp, have officially unveiled the ORB 3D printer, which seems to be a revolutionary addition to the desktop 3D printing space. The fishbowl-looking printer utilizes several unique technologies, including a modular setup, spinning disc architecture, and a new heating process. Suarez additionally developed his own code for print instructions, using his ORB Print Code rather than G-code. In the coming weeks, CarrotCorp intends to launch a crowdfunding campaign to get the ORB into production. Check out more information on the up-and-coming ORB 3D printer in the full article: http://3dprint.com/36575/orb-3d-printer/

Below is a look at the ORB:

Staff Engineer
    ... Is the rest of the company also made up of 15 year-olds? Because that render looks like it belongs in a children's cartoon and the video was even worse.

Granted, worse vaporware has been presented by guys twice this kid's age, but that still doesn't make it less vaporware.

Also, patent pending spinning disk technology? Does he know that polar coordinate printers already existed? Or is he just doing the Makerbot thing?

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    ... Is the rest of the company also made up of 15 year-olds? Because that render looks like it belongs in a children's cartoon and the video was even worse.

Granted, worse vaporware has been presented by guys twice this kid's age, but that still doesn't make it less vaporware.

Also, patent pending spinning disk technology? Does he know that polar coordinate printers already existed? Or is he just doing the Makerbot thing?
    Not to poo in the kid's cornflakes here, but I would tend to agree. In the 3D printer world launching, or even discussing, a product that is nothing more than a render is a no-no, unless of course you are a multi-billion dollar company such as Autodesk or HP.

Staff Engineer
    Oh I'll criticize HP and Autodesk for trying to make a press conference out of a render and buzzwords. This guy had all the buzzwords six months ago, and now has come back to make another story with a render and no other details.

Without any how this is pure vaporware. That video makes me giggle and reminds me of my sixth grade entrepreneurship class video.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I'm thinking corialis effect - or whatever the thing is called that means stuff on fast spinning discs gets thrown to the edge of the disc.
    Hot and therefore: soft plastic, made heavier and slower to cool by included metal particles (can we say, really expensive filament) will not stay where it's put in a hot enclosed bubble with no obvious cooling.

But apart from that, and no obvious way of lowering the print head to the base, and the difficulty of getting proper right angles in a spiral print, and the difficulty of getting precision from hot magnetic filament that probably wants to stick to itself more than it wants to stick to a spinning plate and the fact that there's no actual hardware yet.
    Looks good :-)

Did I already mention super expensive propriatary filament ?
    (one of these days I'll look up how to spell propriatary, propriatery ? propiorterry ? one of these days i'll get it right :-))

If it works I'll be impressed. But there are way too many obvious flaws for me to be convinced before I see one actually printing a secret heart box in one piece.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 01-12-2015 at 06:29 PM.

Engineer
    I am sorry to ruin this thread, but just what the hell?
    They are going to patent for the sake of patenting? Really, swap from cartesian coordinate to cylindrical is enough to make a whole patent?

This is beyond ridiculous....

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    I'm thinking corialis effect - or whatever the thing is called that means stuff on fast spinning discs gets thrown to the edge of the disc.
    Hot and therefore: soft plastic, made heavier and slower to cool by included metal particles (can we say, really expensive filament) will not stay where it's put in a hot enclosed bubble with no obvious cooling.

But apart from that, and no obvious way of lowering the print head to the base, and the difficulty of getting proper right angles in a spiral print, and the difficulty of getting precision from hot magnetic filament that probably wants to stick to itself more than it wants to stick to a spinning plate and the fact that there's no actual hardware yet.
    Looks good :-)

Did I already mention super expensive propriatary filament ?
    (one of these days I'll look up how to spell propriatary, propriatery ? propiorterry ? one of these days i'll get it right :-))

If it works I'll be impressed. But there are way too many obvious flaws for me to be convinced before I see one actually printing a secret heart box in one piece.
    I have to agree aardvark,

On a serious note to give him benefit of the doubt:
    There is potential for the X and Y axis with a rotating surface if he uses PLA at low temps and cools it fast(like really fast could setup a wind tunnel for cooling within the dome).
    The Z axis will be interesting to see how he accomplishes it with a dome. If it were a true Cylinder he could raise the rotating platform up to the head and lower it. But with a Dome he would have to lower the head to the bed and the current design does not allow for that.

Overall I think it can be done, just a few minor tweaks need done first before its viable(see above). This would require a lot of work, ditching the current gcode standard I think is a unwise decision the problem with this is the lack of support from the community. If he however takes existing firmware and modifies it to transform the coordinate system(like many other Polar printers do) he can keep existing gcode commands and decrease his R&D as well keep the community support.
    I would be willing to post Renderings of how I can envison this working, he will have to use non standard steppers in order to keep form factor down...

Thanks,

Ryan
    Edu3D.Org
    Create, Innovate, Inspire