Close

Power Supply for Makerfarm 10" Prusa i3

Hi All,

My 10" Prusa just came in the other day and I wanted to know what would be a good PowerSupply would be? I know they recommend this one http://openbuildspartstore.com/12v-30a-power-supply but it would be easier for me to run to Microcenter or just order from Amazon. I've also heard of some people using something to regulate the power, not sure if that's correct or not but wanted to double check what I needed.

Thanks!

I used this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and I like the fact it mounts to the frame with 4mm screws and looks very neat. The negative is you need to get a power cord for it as well and you don't have a 5V supply if you want to later add servo for ABL. I'm going to use a step down converter to get a 5V supply for the servo, but with a converted PC power supply you would have 5V available to you.

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    I grabbed a mini ATX power supply out of an old small form factor pc. It was free and supplies 5v, 5vsb for accessories, and the RAMPS board has the capability to turn it on and off. I originally started off with a 12v only supply but am happy with this upgrade.

This is the method I use to convert ATX computer power supplies http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Com...b-Power-Supply

Before you start the conversion, check the output amperage at 12V. With a 10" print bed you'll need as many amps as you can get to heat it efficiently.

It is possible, following these instructions, to get a 5V tap, but I didn't bother. I just run 12V to the controller board and let the internal circuit draw off the 5V.

Old Man Emu

Add DjWang on Thingiverse
    I use 2.

The first is a ATX power supply from a old computer. This powers my electronics.
    The second is a XBOX360 power supply. This powers my heated bed via the relay.
    Last edited by DjWang; 01-22-2015 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks everyone, I think I'll go with the one bkmartin pointed out as I got rid of all my ATX supplies a while go. This will probably make things a little easier to start with since this is my first printer.

Hi All,

Back with a dumb question. I have a power cord but what type of wires do I need to connect the power supply to the ramps? The wiring kit suggested in the build guide link doesn't work any more.

Thank!

Quote Originally Posted by untruehero View Post
    Hi All,

Back with a dumb question. I have a power cord but what type of wires do I need to connect the power supply to the ramps? The wiring kit suggested in the build guide link doesn't work any more.

Thank!
    I'm using 14AWG from PSU to my RAMPS. And 12AWG from PSU -> Relay -> Heatbed (which is overkill I know, but better safe than sorry) and I soldered my wires to the relay.

Had a meltdown recently...:

Which in the end I managed to snap off one of the feet on the relay. So now I'm using a 30A car relay :P
    Attached Images Attached Images