Feign - you're an american - so psychologically you're probably not psychologically capable of seeing this from anyone else's point of view. The simple fact that you believe carrying a hand gun for 'self defence' is a valid reason to own one - means you can never understand the point of view of someone who says: 'self defence against what ?, Oh yeah someone else carrying a gun.' Without seeing the absolute irony of the statement.

Like i said I'm not having a go at americans. It's just that most of you have a completely different relationship to firearms than brits and many other nationalities.
To US you treat guns like toys.
While several rural families do teach their children to hunt at a fairly young age, they teach responsibility along with it.
You ever met kids ? forget what you teach them, kids and handguns should never mix.

Anyway this isn't a thread about the morality of firearms. The usa and most everyone else see them in vastly different ways. Accept that and move on.

I was just trying to give the guy writing the dissertation a couple of different approaches to the subject :-)