Close

Hybrid View

Sorry I dont have the money to build new. I am a Intel fan for one reason only. All the AMD's I have ever had always crashed (frequently) when the room got hotter than 80 degrees F. If you like an AMD that is nice, but please dont try to cram it down our throats. I respect anyone for having the right to chose their prefference, yet remember it is YOUR preffeerence. If Dad's tower has a AMD I will stick with it, yet I think he is a intel man as well. I will however have to update the operating system as he only had XP. I will probably get 8.1 that is supposed to have printer support. This tower will probably be down in the basement. I plan to get a PrintRbot Metal Plus from Amazon. The only other item will be that the printer will sit in a open faced box with a fusible link for the lid. That link will fail if there is any fire and seal the box containing any fire. I pray it never comes to that and feel that the user whom had a fire had done so because he let the chamber get too warm with out proper ventination. No I wont try to see what it takes to make a printer catch fire. I welcome all the advice here as it is very useful.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by -willy- View Post
    Sorry I dont have the money to build new. I am a Intel fan for one reason only. All the AMD's I have ever had always crashed (frequently) when the room got hotter than 80 degrees F. If you like an AMD that is nice, but please dont try to cram it down our throats. I respect anyone for having the right to chose their prefference, yet remember it is YOUR preffeerence. If Dad's tower has a AMD I will stick with it, yet I think he is a intel man as well. I will however have to update the operating system as he only had XP. I will probably get 8.1 that is supposed to have printer support. This tower will probably be down in the basement. I plan to get a PrintRbot Metal Plus from Amazon. The only other item will be that the printer will sit in a open faced box with a fusible link for the lid. That link will fail if there is any fire and seal the box containing any fire. I pray it never comes to that and feel that the user whom had a fire had done so because he let the chamber get too warm with out proper ventination. No I wont try to see what it takes to make a printer catch fire. I welcome all the advice here as it is very useful.
    2 things. 20 years of professional experience is not 'cramming things down your throat'. Take it or leave it - it's your loss :-)

secondly - windows xp is better at running most of the 3d printer software out there than windows 8.1.
    Which isn't much good at running anything that wasn't written specifically for it.

Your os of choice should be either xp or - if you fancy something more recent - windows 7, 32 bit. But hey, you seem to know better, so carry on :-)

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    2 things. 20 years of professional experience is not 'cramming things down your throat'. Take it or leave it - it's your loss :-)

secondly - windows xp is better at running most of the 3d printer software out there than windows 8.1.
    Which isn't much good at running anything that wasn't written specifically for it.

Your os of choice should be either xp or - if you fancy something more recent - windows 7, 32 bit. But hey, you seem to know better, so carry on :-)
    Ah but I dont know better which is why I am here to learn. Just that all my AMD's as well as a few friends that game have had catastrophic issues when it got warm, never had that problem with an Intel. Its great that you have knowledge. I thankyou on the heads up on XP and may install it on the tower, as this would save money I dont have to spend. I just thought that there were no updates for xp anymore and Windows had released some modeling software that only worked on the 8.1? I was told I could not use it on win 7. So your help is appreciated even tho some of us prefer (in your eyes) inferior products that work flawlessly in the heat.

The laptop I inherited from the Father came with XP and I thought if I were to use it on the net should get 8.1, hearing your views I will give it 7. I had hopes of using the laptop for the mobility yet that is fine if I must sell it instead.