Close

Hybrid View

Hi, @DT,

I think the requirements for a stand-alone filament maker vs. an on-machine pellet extruder a little bit different.

Firstly, a stand-alone machine needs to go as fast as it can, and that forces some engineering decisions, like size and power, that don't need to happen in an on-machine extruder. So our implementation will be smaller and more efficient,and may be even less expensive (although we're not yet sure about that).

Secondly, an on-machine extruder doesn't need to make any special accommodations to spooling. This is the bane of stand-alone machines - getting a uniform filament is very difficult without auto-spooling. You also need to cool the filament as it comes out of the nozzle, but not too much, etc. All these considerations disappear in an on-machine scenario.

Again, I'm hoping this makes our solution less expensive and easier to use. If we can make it work that way, would that makes sense?

Ben

Ben,

One of the major problems, as I see it, is that doing this at the printer requires doing it once per head (unless I'm missing something). For many of my projects I will be needing all 4 heads.

Will you be able to handle the extra mass of four pellet extruders that are moving in odd ways? I'm not trying to discourage the idea, but I can see a lot of problems.

A dedicated filament extruder costs under $800 for the fully completed ExtrusionBot or under $300 for the kit Filabot. These are easier to set up under ideal conditions such that the filament is spooled and comes out at a constant rate. They seem to be able to make about a kg a day according to their advertising, but I haven't looked much yet at real user testimony.