Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Add GOC on Google+ Add GOC on Thingiverse
    - I'm curious to see the hardware your working with so that I may get a better understanding. Would you be able to snap/upload a few pics of your table, controllers, & motors (including inputs & wiring leading out of the devices)?

Quote Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
    I am not familiar with the controllers you are talking about. Any suggestions?
    There are several possiblities. A easiest one that comes to mind is something that has been made for a printer that will use any gcode generator (Slic3r, Repetier-Host, Cura and so on).
    This company (PrintRbot) offers their current revision at $100. http://printrbot.com/shop/printrboard-rev-f/

Senior Engineer
    That board is for stepper motors, not servos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    That board is for stepper motors, not servos.
    This would explain why I did not understand.

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    Mjolinor;

I looked up LinuxCNC and, as one would expect, it's not possible to run it on a Windows machine. From the LinuxCNC wiki (scroll to bottom):

"Why won't LinuxCNC run on Windows?

1. LinuxCNC runs in real-time, to give smooth motion. This is critical to accuracy and machine life. Hard real-time is not available on Windows in a price range many can afford... especially those interested in using a PC-based control.
    2. LinuxCNC is intended to control machine tools. Machine tools are DANGEROUS and reliability/consistent behavior is extremely important. Compared to Windows, few viruses affect Linux. Even without consideration of viruses, Linux is far more stable.
    3. The above also apply to virtual machines (e.g., VMware or Virtual Box) and emulators. It may be possible to trick LinuxCNC to run on a virtual machine but do so at your own risk!
    4. The above notwithstanding, one can access a running LinuxCNC machine from a Windows machine, e.g., by running a Windows-based VNC client or X11 server."

This states that a dedicated Linux system is necessary. The Windows preferred alternative seems to be Mach3, but it's not free at $175. Do you advocate buying a dedicated system, devoted to Linux, over running Mach3 on a Windows machine, given that the costs are probably about equal? This question assumes, of course, that one doesn't already have a dedicated machine running Linux, as i expect most don't.

I suppose there is the alternative of partitioning a section of the hard drive to running Linux. What would you suggest?

Senior Engineer
    No point asking me what I suggest. I don't use anything by Micro$hite other than mice.

My Stratasys printer sits idle because it uses Windose and I don't.

Mach 3 is not really a Windows equivalent as it will not directly control things to the same extent. For your purposes either will do as you already have the rather expensive hardware that Mach3 requires.

You do not need to buy Mach3, the trial version will do everything you need, it is just limited in the lines of code it allows but it allows sufficient to prove viability before you spend anything.

I would go with another partition for Linux because if you meet a problem then you can get it fixed, the LinuxCNC community is very strong active and capable or do both, one should learn something new every day and if you do both you will be learning ten new things every day for 5 years.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    My Stratasys printer sits idle because it uses Windose and I don't.
    So... how much are you selling it for? Because it would just be a shame for it to sit idle forever.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    So... how much are you selling it for? Because it would just be a shame for it to sit idle forever.
    It's in the UK and you're not.

I just spent 6 months dissecting the CMB files so that I can now use any gcode with conversion then send it to the printer.

Add GOC on Google+ Add GOC on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by truly_bent View Post
    I suppose there is the alternative of partitioning a section of the hard drive to running Linux. What would you suggest?
    - I would set up a partition for Linux and dual boot (Windows & Linux). Alternatively you could also set up a virtual machine to run Linux as well.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by GOC View Post
    - I would set up a partition for Linux and dual boot (Windows & Linux). Alternatively you could also set up a virtual machine to run Linux as well.
    A virtual machine will not work, the timing cannot be controlled by the real time kernel if it has Windo$e behind it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast