Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    given that a really good printer can now be had for around £300.
    Price really isn't the problem.

The lack of appropriately skilled technology teachers is probably the crux of the matter.
    Plus up until you go to college - there isn't a seperate design subject in most schools curriculum.

Which is a mistake. As design is at the hub of all engineering, manufacturing and creative jobs of any kind.

What's needed is a way to integrate 3d printing into existing lessons.
    Maths would be the best fit.
    All my designs via openscad are basically lists of algebraic equations.

Or art classes - some of the shapes and things you can make with 3d printing can't easily be created in any other way.

But as the industry currently stands - price isn't the main issue or even a minor one.

I suspect it's mainly a health and safety issues.
    'it gets HOW hot !'
    And then there's the :are the fumes possonous or not ?' debate.
    I suspect if many schools actually bought a 3d printer, the kids would end up in full haz-mat suits before they were allowed near them.

Damn shame, as had these things been around in my youth - I'm pretty sure my life would have gone a very different way.
    I was always making and inventing things. If something like fdm had been around, I'd have actualy had incentive to make an effort with all the related subjects.

Mind you back then we were allowed to play with mercury in physics classes and watch actual sodium being dropped into water - not just a youtube video.
    And weirdly, it didn't kill us.

Only getting prizes when you won things - did not mentally scar us either.

Ah well, maybe I'm wrong and it's not the fear of prosecution by manical parents that's stopping schools from getting 3d printers...
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-14-2020 at 10:34 AM.