Close

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Hybrid View

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by TopJimmyCooks View Post
    Let me echo Gmay - I am following this with interest and look forward to doing some "homework". I'm waiting until after I get my dual itty bitty extruder going so I can do my tests with the heavier end effector. I will post any feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by misquamacus View Post
    Bravo printbus, I'm loving this thread! I will definitely run some of these tests as soon as I am able. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks. I'm just another one of us trying to better understand their printer. I had no idea I would be digging into the details like this when I started the thread. I guess I was hoping for someone already in the know to jump in and explain the Marlin move planning - the code seems overly esoteric, and I've found little related information on the web that seems both helpful and trustworthy. As I've said in multiple threads, the more we share, the better off we all are in being able to selectively pick the information we feel is important. In the end, there may be some conclusions here that are debatable, but it'll at least have been an interesting read in getting there. This is another thread where I frequently go back and edit prior posts. Those just reading new posts as they appear may want to skim through the thread from the beginning at some point.

EDIT: esoteric: per google, "intended for or likely to be understood by only a small number of people with a specialized knowledge or interest". Yeah, that fits.
    Last edited by printbus; 12-19-2014 at 07:26 AM.

Bravo printbus, I'm loving this thread! I will definitely run some of these tests as soon as I am able. Keep up the good work.

...ive got to go back and read this!

Probably tomorrow while im at work

PRINTBUS SETTINGS RECAP

SLICER -
    Travel rate: 250 mm/sec or 15,000 mm/minute
    Print rate: 100 mm/sec max, perimeters and solid layers adjusted to suit
    Retraction: 15 mm/sec

MARLIN -
    HOMING_FEEDRATE {100*60, 100*60,2*60,0} (but I have also modified Z homing code in marlin_main.cpp)
    DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {250,250,2,15}
    DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {750,750,500,500}
    DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 750
    DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 500
    DEFAULT_XYJERK 20
    DEFAULT_ZJERK 10
    DEFAULT_EJERK 10
    MANUAL_FEEDRATE {100*60, 100*60, 2*60, 5*60} (in configuration_adv.h)

Print area is equipped with a print cooler capable of providing the airflow necessary to print PLA without minimum layer time restrictions on most prints.

FOLLOWUP COMMENT: It is determined later that the 5mm/sec value for E in MANUAL_FEEDRATE is about at the limit for a sustained extrusion using 1.75mm filament. For the same amount of extruded volume, 3mm filament feeds slower. 1.5 to 1.7 mm/sec would be a more appropriate value for 3mm filament.
    Last edited by printbus; 12-25-2014 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    PRINTBUS SETTINGS RECAP

SLICER -
    Travel rate: 250 mm/sec or 15,000 mm/minute
    Print rate: 100 mm/sec max, perimeters and solid layers adjusted to suit
    Retraction: 15 mm/sec

MARLIN -
    HOMING_FEEDRATE {100*60, 100*60,2*60,0} (but I have also modified Z homing code in marlin_main.cpp)
    DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {250,250,2,15}
    DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {750,750,500,500}
    DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 750
    DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 500
    DEFAULT_XYJERK 20
    DEFAULT_ZJERK 10
    DEFAULT_EJERK 10
    MANUAL_FEEDRATE {100*60, 100*60, 2*60, 5*60} (in configuration_adv.h)
    Except for one aspect, this has remained my baseline through dozens of prints, including around two dozen configuration controlled prints related to ripple testing. The one aspect is that with replacement of the balance of original motors with Kysans, the Z feed rates have been increased to 2.5 mm/sec in HOMING_FEEDRATE, 3 mm/sec in DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE, and 2.5 mm/sec in MANUAL_FEEDRATE. I'm also operating the Z motors with 1/4 microstepping instead of the original 1/16.

Elaborating on the 100mm/sec default print speed, I typically go for a 50mm/sec perimeter speed and a 80mm/sec solid infill speed.

I continue to like these settings, especially paired with motor drive adjustments based on how the motors perform, not on a voltage setting.

Senior Engineer
    If you are going to post theoretical descriptions of things then you need to differentiate between speed and velocity then make sure you use the correct one in your description.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    If you are going to post theoretical descriptions of things then you need to differentiate between speed and velocity then make sure you use the correct one in your description.
    With no other input being provided,I've simply been documenting my learning experience as I explore the motion settings. It doesn't surprise me to find out that some of my words, examples and demonstrations may not be academically correct. If there's a distinction between speed and velocity that makes a difference in understanding the motion settings and how to optimize them, you are welcome to share that knowledge.

Senior Engineer
    Velocity is a vector, speed is a scalar. There is no direction attached to speed so it is possible to maintain constant speed and travel in a circle, it is not possible to maintain constant velocity and travel in a circle.

Engineer
    It seems to me a moot point, as none of our axes travel in a circle.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by AbuMaia View Post
    It seems to me a moot point, as none of our axes travel in a circle.
    Sorry, can't see the relevance of what your printer does when talking about technical explanations of what acceleration is, enlighten me.

My print head moves in circles or parts there of quite frequently, so frequently in fact that they included the G2 and G3 Gcodes specifically for it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast