Close

Engineer

Hewlett Package 3D Printer Video from 4 Years ago - What Happened?

This is a very interesting video I stumbled upon from almost 4 years ago. April 2010 the video is dated, and it was uploaded to Youtube by HP in 2011. The question is, if they foresaw this technology coming, why have they allowed everyone else to jump in the market before they ever did. We still don't have a Hewlett Packard 3D Printer. Whitman, their CEO, says we likely will one in the second half of 2014. Seems like they really missed the boat on this one. Sure, maybe they will come out with an exceptional product and take a huge market share, but if they got started on this a couple years ago, which it appears they intended to, tings would be a lot different.

I find it facinating that this printer works from the bottom up rather than the top down. I'm not really sure how it adds layers to the bottom, while moving the object up. Seems kind of stupid to me. Perhaps that's why it was never released LOL. The good news is that it appears that HP has been working on 3D Printing for over 5 years. That means I expect to see something pretty amazing once HP does release a 3D Printer sometime in 2014.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Markum_Debreeze View Post
    The good news is that it appears that HP has been working on 3D Printing for over 5 years.
    They've had FDM printers (I believe they use Stratasys internals) not merely in development, but for sale for years, but they're expensive and only sold in Europe. Look up the Designjet 3D.

Banned
    Yes that is correct. HP has made 3D Printers in the past, just not anything consumer based. As for the printing from the bottom up I too found this strange. Having said this, perhaps it was only a concept at the time.