Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Question I am looking for info on Direct Metal 3D printer

I am looking for a Direct Metal 3D printer for the purpose of small scale manufacturing from my home workshop.
    I will therefore require a system that will run on a residential power grid, ergo 120 or 240 volt 60hz.
    I also have requirements in the area of Build capacity, 24"x9-13/16"x9-13/16" but ideally would prefer 24"x24"x12".
    I need to print in aluminum, cobalt chrome, stainless steel. also titanium would be nice but not necessary.
    I have scoured the net for days to no avail. So if any one can provide the information I need, such as who makes one, where to find (such as a website), and the cost. It would be greatly appreciated.

Add GOC on Google+ Add GOC on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by madmanmax View Post
    ...from my home workshop...titanium...
    You must be loaded, your looking at $500K-$1M machine range.

Machine: EOSINT M 280
    EST Cost: $630K

Engineer
    with a build volume of that size im sure it would be a machine well over $1m.

My intention would be to find investors to help with the cost.
    But first I need to find a printer that will do what I need.
    I've been unable to find one big enough, and those in the power range have been small.
    The bigest one I've found only gets me to 14 inches but I need at least 24 inches.

Engineer
    I know they are out there. Just not sure who makes them. SpaceX has a really large one like that which they do rocket engine components with.

Technician
    Follow JSenior On Twitter Add JSenior on Facebook
    Concept Laser 1000R - 630 x 400 x 500 is about as big as you can get using metal powder. = 1.5m Euros maybe

Can probably get larger through CNC based deposition version.

You're not going to 1000w laser running on your power supply however, and you would need a serious business plan to get some people on board such a thing.

- The only company I know of that has a large build volume for metal printing is Sciaky which prints at an enormous volume of 19' x 4' x 4' (L x W x H). Not sure on the cost, you'll have to call for a quote.

- Whitney Hipolite also wrote an article on it HERE on 3dprint.com.

Add bford903 on Facebook
    Printing with aluminum and titanium can also be dangerous. https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owa...SES&p_id=26019

Powdered titanium is used in pyrotechnics and is quite explosive. Not ideal for a home operation. That's why any jewelry store selling those alloys will not size them. They typically offer exchange plans instead so you can swap them out if you need a different size. Putting a torch to a titanium ring is a major no-no.

Plus, most metal printers I've seen (the relatively affordable, non-aerospace metal printers) produce items will appalling surface quality. Lots of post-processing work.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I can attest first hand that titanium fires are a real problem if you have dust buildup. Had a grinder full of titanium dust catch a spark from a Ti Part I was grinding. Had to let the fire burn itself out (wasn't big enough to use the metal extinguisher, too much paperwork). Ruined the grinder though. Was using a flapper wheel on the grinder, so it acted like a fan, so it turned the exhaust port into a flamethrower.

- Its extraordinarily dangerous as bford903 and Marm mentioned. Metal powders can have disastrous results if improperly handled or if exposed to the wrong environment. Just mixing some aluminum with rust can create Thermite (which is fun to play with), it burns at around 2200C and cannot be put out easily. A small pile (about the size of a large coin) on the hood of a car will melt through the engine block and into the concrete below. So working with a vat of metal powder to me is a bit frightening.

Here's some interesting metal facts I got from the University of Pittsburgh HERE

Titanium (Ti): Specific gravity, 4.51; melting point, 3040°F (1670°C). At red heat, 1300°F (704°C), the metal actively decomposes steam. Following strong nitric acid treatment, the metal may explode by the light impact or friction of handling with tongs. The powder can be ignited in pure carbon dioxide above 1260°F (682°C), in nitrogen above 1475°F (801°C), and in air at 626°F (330°C) to 1094°F (590°C). Powdered titanium immersed in water or wet with water at ordinary temperatures has been ignited by chemical reaction.

Aluminum (Al): Aluminum is used both as a commercially pure metal and as an alloy. In finely divided powder or dust form, aluminum and its alloys are combustible in air and present a serious combustion explosion hazard. Aluminum will react violently with many chemicals. Aluminum particles and smaller turnings will react with water to form hydrogen gas which is highly flammable and explosive in favorable concentrations. The rapid vaporization of water in contact with molten aluminum can result in rapid phase transformation explosions. Halogenated extinguishing agents should not be used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast