Close

Hybrid View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    a basic millenium flacon is pretty simple. A flattened sphere for the body, cylinder for the front roundy bit, dimple on the top.

But if you're trying to duplicate what you can do on a package you know well in openscad after a couple weeks - you're just going to get frustrated.

You need to start with simple things. I find that the more I use openscad the more I learn and the more I can actually make it do.

But it's not a program where you can just leap in at the deep end.

Start with differences and unions. Then add variables, loops and modules.

The best way to learn is to build a simple model - a rocket for example ;-)
    And keep tweaking the script as you learn different functions.

I reckon I can probably get the rocket script down to about half a dozen lines of code eventually and make it fully parametric.

And for the record it prints great too - used it to test a cheap roll of white pla.

But I do think you're trying to get too complicated too quick.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    a basic millenium flacon is pretty simple.
    I'm going to have to be careful how I write. That wasn't meant that I wanted to model an Millennium Falcon. I just used that thing as an image to represent a complicated object.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    You need to start with simple things. I find that the more I use openscad the more I learn and the more I can actually make it do.

But it's not a program where you can just leap in at the deep end. The best way to learn is to build a simple model And keep tweaking the script as you learn different functions. But I do think you're trying to get too complicated too quick.
    I'm in full agreement with these statements. We let this thread get too complicated, too fast. We need to go back and start at the very beginning.

Here's my thought:
    Let's each download the OpenScad Cheat Sheet and, starting with Syntax , go through it explaining what each of the underlined words means, and the correct way to write it into some code.
    If an object is needed to illustrate a the way something works, then let's standardize to a cube and/or a sphere whose size/radius is 5. (And allow arguments in favour of diameter instead of radius).

If you are happy with my explanation of the way I explained the use of brackets and semicolons, then let it be Syntax .1, and move on to var as Syntax .2., and so on.

OME