Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar

You foreigners is strange peoples

strictly paypal.
    No comeback in that respect

Paypal only has to refund for 180 days in the uk and 30 days most other countries - Anyone not waited that long for a product from a startup 3d printing company ?
    Exactly.

And on the sidetracked issue.

The really interesting thing about americans versus australians is this:

Ask an american what nationality he/she is and they will answer german, polish, italian, irish, hungarian - basically anything other than american (or english for that matter - I'm sure a lot of the settlers were english - but they're descendant refuse to ever mention it - that kinda makes me proud :-) .

The rule seems to be: nationaliy of ancestors first, state of origin second and American dead last.
    I test this theory with every new american I communicate with - and it has never yet failed.

Ask an aussie where they're from and they will answer - emphatically - Australia first and foremost. Only reluctantly, if pushed, will they mention any nationality of ancestors.

I personally Am english first and british second. I am not - under any circumstances whatsoever - a europaen.

People went to australia - often involuntarily - to start new lives. And so happily abandoned their ethnic past.

People went to america to maintain their way of life and as a consequence only reluctantly admit that they're no longer italians, or dutch or german - but actually born and bred in america.

there are other anthropological reasons - but essentially, america is a young country whose inhabitants seem to believe they live somewhere else.
    And australia is an equally young country who's inhabitants wouldn't live anywhere else and they'll fight you for suggesting otherwise.

I suspect that's one reason the average brit gets on better with australians than with americans.

Me, personally I like americans, and australians (well i say 'like', there's a strong element of national competition in there somewhere. As an englishman I value sporting victories over australia much much higher than over the us :-) And I'd hazard a guess aussies feel the same :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-10-2014 at 03:14 PM.