Close

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Student
    Add jakers181008 on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    This won't be a popular post with many... But you can go on eBay and buy an old, obsolete laptop for $20. You get way better control of what is going on with a laptop running PronterFace than an LCD Panel. I have an old laptop dedicated to running my printer and I use that. I also have it setup with VNC so I can just pull up its screen on an machine I'm using to check on things.
    HI Roxy, i do currently do use a laptop but it is really getting to the end of it's pathetic life, so i wanted to have something that will boot up quickly and still run the printer if laptop goes dead.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    try changing the value for BEEPER at line 793 in your pins.h file from 33 to -1. I think (but am unsure) that is the BEEPER pin assignment used when you've specified the G3D_PANEL. Setting BEEPER to -1 should disable it.
    I will change that now and will get back to you

Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    My main recommendation would be to add your location to your profile so that it shows up in your posts. Maybe someone near to you would volunteer to meet up and help you out. The problems you're having aren't all that tough to resolve - just tough to resolve over distance, by text, sight unseen.
    I do understand that getting someone to help me out in person would be extremely helpful.. but i can see the both of you are on the other side of the north atlantic ocean, i live in England in Gloucestershire near stroud. so if there is anyone there, close by, or in england about an hour away i would be more than happy to travel

But i do have a webcam and skype or lync if any of you have that too? skype user is jakers181008

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I don't know any i2 people. But wouldn't all the pins be the same between an i2 and i3 on a RAMP's board? All the same stuff is there and my guess is it would be connected the same way???
    We can eventually work through the pin mapping. What I was specifically thinking of were the calculations related to the steps per unit in DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT.

Jakers, it occurs to me that setting BEEPER to -1 may not disable the constant tone if your LCD panel is hardwired to a pin on the MEGA2560 that is configured to do something else. If the tone is still there, I suggest (temporarily) setting configuration.h back to the REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER so that you at least have the LCD available as a monitor without the constant noise. As requested earlier, contact your ebay seller for the display and ask if they can give you any Marlin setup information for it. We should be able to (eventually) work through it, but it'd be easier if they have info to give you. Then, you still have the action to adjust the voltage settings on the stepper motor driver boards. Once that is done we can focus on getting the motors working.

Student
    Hiya, i changed it back to the other settings but it shows some details in jibberish, so put it back to the discount one, the LCD i got it from is this one here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3607855687...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT am waiting for a reply from them to see what they have to say.

And for the voltage setting on the boards, i cant seem to get it to move, they still make the noise, just make a louder noise... :/ i do a hole 360degree turn with them and they go back to low voltate

Quote Originally Posted by jakers181008 View Post
    Hiya, i changed it back to the other settings but it shows some details in jibberish, so put it back to the discount one, the LCD i got it from is this one here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3607855687...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT am waiting for a reply from them to see what they have to say.

And for the voltage setting on the boards, i cant seem to get it to move, they still make the noise, just make a louder noise... :/ i do a hole 360degree turn with them and they go back to low voltate
    You can't get what to move? The voltage? Or the motor? If the latter, all we're trying to do AT THIS TIME is set up the drive level for the stepper boards. We need this done before we can move onto the next step that MIGHT get the motors working. One step at a time. Set the voltages. Don't worry about whether the motors are working.

The fact that the sound of the motors change indicates the adjustment is having an effect. If the voltage you should be measuring isn't changing while you adjust the trimpot, you're likely not measuring it correctly. And to clarify, this adjustment is something you do with the printer just sitting there, not during an attempt to move the motor.

Student
    there we are, after turning my room upside down found my multi meter...... can i just ask what voltage i should be seeing? and what terminals am i checking?

Quote Originally Posted by jakers181008 View Post
    there we are, after turning my room upside down found my multi meter...... can i just ask what voltage i should be seeing? and what terminals am i checking?
    From post #44: Section 11.4 in the nextday build manual you linked to talks about how to set up the stepper motor driver voltages. Just make sure you set the meter to DC *voltage*, not DC Current like the text says.

A starting point for a voltage setpoint and the terminals are discussed there.

Senior Engineer
    From your video the motor is working correctly, you are just feeding it signals too fast. It has been a while (> 6 months) since I messed with Marlin so I can't give you any input on that. You can tell it is working because the stepper moves as it should initially but after a very short time it stops and whines. That is because you have acceleration enabled and the pulses start off slowly but soon the pulses are too fast for your stepper.

I am in Burnley but it is still too far away unless you wanted to lug the whole lot up here.

I think it is very close now, just slow down your stepper motors top speed and they will work.

Geeetech have to be the worst seller out there. I to bought a board off them,an Azteeg and it did not work. They were hopeless. Eventually after dancing to their tune for 2 months I told them to send me another and that one was exactly the same but I had traced the fault to a faulty PCB so I knew exactly what the problem was by the time I got the second board. A free board is little compensation for the time I spent getting it going but better than nothing.

Senior Engineer
    Looking sideways at your video I think you have 200 mm / minute for Z. That should be OK assuming you have steps / rev set correctly so I am wondering if you have micro-stepping enabled in the Marlin config but not enabled in your stepper driver board. I don't know if that is possible as I haven't been into Marlin for some time but I have done a lot with steppers using LinuxCNC and it is where I would look next.

Student
    Hi after going to the shops to replace the 9V battery in my multi-meter, i had found out my Y board for the stepper wasn't actually showing any side on fife, nut lucky i had a spare one that would of been used for my second extruder (If i had on) but they are now all set to the correct voltage as per the manual says.

I will update my marlin software on here just in case i've done something wrong..... :/ still no reply from the seller of the LCD board, not important as of yet as am currently using laptop to control the board mainly, just using the board to see the temps

my marlin.zip
    Last edited by jakers181008; 11-16-2014 at 10:34 AM. Reason: added marlin

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast